Wednesday, August 21, 2019

A Quick Ride and Traipse in Tapaz



I was not born in the Municipality of Tapaz but I was raised there and completed my elementary and high school education. Tapaz is the center town of the island of Panay with 58 barangays in total. Mountains dominate the town and these are accessible by motorcycle as the primary mode of transportation.

The motorbikes we used on our "lagaw"
I have never been to these mountain areas of my hometown so my friends and I including my brother decided to go to a beautiful spot in the mountainous part of the town which locals call "Bulod." The place was a little far from the town proper. We had to ride on a motorbike as the slope got steep and the stones were big enough to let it tumble down if the driver doesn't know how to take control. Good thing our drivers are a little expert. Hahaha.

Tapaz as seen from Bulod


View of the highlands
The sun was already up when we got there. The heat did not matter to us. We took photos and enjoyed the scenery as it was our first time to reach that place without a guide. Soon after we finished taking beautiful shots, we went on and continued to be amazed with God's natural masterpiece painted with green and brown.

Pose before we leave the area

Panay River
Watch video here: https://bit.ly/2NnzAsw

We reached Brgy. Aglinab but we had to pass by the Panay River. Then we reached their hanging bridge which connects one end of the barangay to the other end. It was swaying, though but we managed to smile and continued until we reached the so-called grotto privately owned by a local family.

The panoramic view of Panay River in Brgy. Aglinab
If you are a first-time hiker just like my friend, Eden, you have at least 3 rests before you reach the grotto. Good thing I have an experience in mountain climbing and trekking so I did not have difficulty climbing that little mountain too, although I felt tired, of course. The hike was worth it. I say it because I appreciate nature the most.

The place, Brgy. Aglinab, can only be accessible by motorcycle via Brgy. San Miguel Ilaya and Ilawod, through Brgy. Gebio-an (if I am not mistaken). It is fine to go there through this route but I would not suggest to go back to the same route if you go to the mainland because the stones on the road are so big that wheels of the motorbikes seem to dance. The road going back is a little steep too. For a safer way back to the highway, it is better to take the Brgy. Katipunan road through Brgy. Libertad as the barangay road is plane and not steep in spite of the slippery way caused by small stones with sands.

A pose on the hanging bridge
Regardless of the difficult road, we chose to be courageous and determined because we wanted to achieve something. That was taking a quick traipse in the highlands of my own hometown, Tapaz in the Province of Capiz.

1 comment:

7 Things First Time Solo Travellers Need to Consider

At some point in our life, we get to try interesting things that we have never done before. One of these is travelling solo for leisure. Now...